Friday, November 09, 2007

story time

two recent stories of late... :)
1) from my placement during indoor recess on monday... a dialogue:

R: Melody, are you an intern?
Mel: Yes.
R: You don't look like an intern.
Mel: What does an intern look like?
R: Like her. (She points to my classmate, a fellow intern for the special education teacher, L)
Mel: (I turn to L.) Did you hear that? You look like an intern.
L: I get that a lot. People think I'm a teenager.
Mel: Excuse me. (Point to self.) I look like a teenager! And you're married.
Mel: (To R.) Then what do I look like?
R: A teacher.
Mel: Thanks. (Her comment made me really happy.) But L is married!
R: So are you.
Mel: No, I'm not. I'm not married.
R: Yes, you are. What is your husband's name?
Mel: I don't have a husband.
R: What is your boyfriend's name?
Mel: I don't have a boyfriend.
W: Melody and her boyfriend kissing! (He proceeds to incorporate me into his drawing of mountains, where I am now on a mountaintop kissing my boyfriend.)

Anyways, throughout the rest of that half hour, more and more students became involved. I was given a wedding ring (made out of yellow paper) and taped to my finger. I was made a wedding veil (which was taped to a rubber band and stuffed around my head).

Then they proceeded to drag me out to marry Richard. (Richard is the principal.... who is married and has 3 children.) So then they decide to make me a boyfriend by drawing him on a piece of paper, colouring him and then cutting him out. "This is Dottie," they told me. Haha. I also had pictures of my wedding drawn by them.

This story made me love why I'm there. It was a bit annoying at the end when they told the whole class I was getting married... but it was cute, nonetheless. :)

2) I received a Compassion letter in the mail today. For those of you who don't know, I've been sponsoring a child in Bolivia for 6 years and this year, I got a new sponsor child. In his letter to me it said this:

"I greet you with very much love. I am sad because my mother and my relatives drink too much. I ask you please pray for them and I ask a favour please write to me and tell me how you are. Right now I am fine. I attend to the centre and I also went to visit to my uncles and I played with my cousin Luis and Melvin. I also had vacation and I did my homework. I love you very much."

Receiving a letter from my child always makes me happy, but this letter is the second letter I have ever received from him and he is telling me things that are upon his heart. I heart my child... :( If you ever feel burdened to sponsor a child, feel free to ask how my experience has been. I've loved every moment of it. :)

Perhaps more stories later...

1 Comments:

At November 23, 2007 4:33 PM, Blogger Annie said...

aww, Mel both your stories made me smile. :) Last year, one of the 3rd classes decided their teacher was getting married. (She didn't even have a boyfriend). They went around telling all the other teachers and giving us details about the wedding. They had even chosen a date! It was rather funny.

I sponsor a little girl in Ecuador through Compassion.... it has been fun, though she is young and I get the feeling most of her letters are written by the staff at her project without much input from her. I'm hoping she will write to me as she gets older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home